Saturday 19 April 2014

Doeberl Cup - Day 2

The second day of the Doeberl Cup was somewhat more successful for me, with two wins from the two games today, leaving me with 2/4 & 50%. I was fairly happy with my play today - grabbed a pawn in the opening in the first game & held it after defending for a little while, before finding a few tactics in the endgame to finish it off. The second game was an Alapin French that went according to plan & I think I played a nice attacking game to win.

The first game was a Sniper against Western Australian Edik Gilmetdinov where Edik chose to play a London system against it. I snatched the b2 pawn which was a bit risky, but I seemed to get out of it OK. 15. Nab6 might have been a bit annoying to deal with, but after 15. Bf3 I seemed toget a reasonable position with good chances. I found a nice tactic with 23... Rxb6 to win more material & exchange pieces & then finish the ending off with what I thought was reasonable technique.



The second game of the day was another game against Victorian junior Gary Lin, who I have played a number of times in the last year or two (on the few occasions I do play chess!). This time I was white (the last few times I have been black against Gary) & I played the Alapin French after he decided not to go into a Blackmar-Diemer Gambit. I managed to swing all of my pieces over to the kingside to target Gary's king & the tactics all worked out successfully for me.



Overall a much better day & I'm happy to be on the scoreboard & sitting on 50%.

No comments:

Post a Comment