Tuesday 27 December 2011

Australian Reserves Round 1

Today was the first round of the annual (well techincally every two years) Australian Championships, this time held in Geelong, Victoria. I am playing in the reseves division, which has an upper rating limit of 2150. I'm the 7th seed in the 76 player field, so (in theory at least) I'm in with a realistic chance of a good finish in the event. I managed to get a gairly tough first round pairing, playing black against ACT junior Megan Setiabudi, who recently won the Australian Girls Masters even in Adelaide a few weeks ago. I managed to get a reasonable position out of the opening, but allowed Megan's queen to get active in the endgame, so that she had a perpetual check at the end, in spite of my mating threats.
I haven't put the game into my computer (might get around to this tomorrow night), so you'll have to wait to see the game in its entirety. Tomorrow I am paired against John Langer, who I literally know nothing about, so its a quick night for preparation (ie: I'm not doing any). Hopefully the result will be a bit better for me this time around.
In other results, there were a few upsets, the most notable in the reserves being Samuel Dalton's loss at the hands of Colin McKenzie, in what looked like a fairly crushing game from the parts I saw.
The Championship division also got underway, with a few upsets, including Bobby Cheng & Mike Steadman losing, although it is still early days & anything can happen from here!
If you want to follow the results, they are being updated daily on Chess Results, with the Championship & Reserves both online.

No comments:

Post a Comment